The Liberal Arts and Sciences Associate in Arts Degree Program is designed especially for students who wish to transfer to a four-year college or university to pursue a major in such fields as English, science, mathematics, history, philosophy, languages, geography, political science, journalism, or social science. The program provides a comprehensive two-year undergraduate foundation that is tailored to meet the requirements of the University of Connecticut (UConn), Connecticut State Universities (CSU), and others.
A unique feature of Capital’s Liberal Arts and Sciences degree program is the required capstone course (IDS 250 ), which brings together a team of teachers from a variety of disciplines to lead students in an investigation of a provocative topic.
Students selecting Liberal Arts and Sciences as a major and have 30 or fewer credits may be eligible to enroll in the Guaranteed Admissions Program with UConn. Students with 15 or fewer credits may enroll in the Dual Admissions Program at Central, Eastern, Southern or Western Connecticut State University.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates will:
- Communicate effectively in writing, and orally
- Utilize current communication technology
- Reason scientifically and/or quantitatively and apply mathematical and/or scientific principles to the inquiry process
- Think critically, analyze and understand complex ideas, draw inferences from facts/texts, evaluate and present well-reasoned arguments
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct and document meaningful research
- Develop a global perspective on today’s world
- Understand the major artistic, literary and philosophical aspects of western and non-western cultures
- Recognize the major historical and political events of western and non-western societies
- Understand the concept of culture
- Recognize differences and relationships among cultures
- Recognize the role of ethnic diversity in US social life
- Demonstrate some proficiency in a foreign language
Please see Becoming Connecticut State Community College for important information regarding this program and Fall 2023 opening of Connecticut State Community College.