This program is designed to provide students foundational knowledge of information systems and programming skills in various programming languages, such as Java, C++ and Visual Basic. Students are provided a thorough understanding of database design and software development principles and will learn to complete all stages of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC). Students will learn to analyze business requirement, plan, develop, test and document computer programs. Upon completion, students will be prepared for an entry-level IT position, advancement in their current position, or transfer to a four-year IT program.
Throughout the degree program, students will develop a portfolio showcasing the software created throughout their studies.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates will be able to:
- Identify and perform all stages of the Systems Development Lifecycle (SDLC) model to develop software applications
- Successfully code, compile, execute, and debug programs in various programming languages
- Apply effective web design principles to design and develop web pages using HTML and CSS
- Demonstrate an understanding of data modeling, database design and SQL
- Identify and respond to ethical issues surrounding the misuse of information technology
- Demonstrate an understanding of object-oriented programming concepts
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role and importance of information technology in business and society
- Display professional readiness to meet the needs of the business community, including, but not limited to, time management, teamwork, and decision-making skills
Please see Becoming Connecticut State Community College for important information regarding this program and Fall 2023 opening of Connecticut State Community College.