The Technology Studies - Data Science Option A.S. degree program prepares students to transfer into a B.S. degree in Data Science, Computer Science, or Technology Management. Graduates will acquire a strong background in mathematics, statistics, data literacy, computer programming, and general education courses for transfer into a four-year program. Graduates will also develop competencies in statistical analysis and data analytics which may enable them to enter the workforce as data analysts, data scientists, database administrators and statistical assistants.
The program provides students exposure to key elements of data science including data structures and data sources, programming languages, statistical principles, computing and analytics, data management, machine learning tools, and data science applications.
Students acquire a thorough understanding of data science principles. This includes: (a) learning about the fundamental skills and roles of a data scientist, (b) applying methods and techniques commonly used in data science for obtaining, organizing, exploring, and analyzing data, and (c) recognizing how data analysis, inferential statistics, and modeling can be used to investigate and answer questions involving data. Students will obtain the computational, quantitative and critical thinking abilities needed to make sense of data and drawing reasonable conclusions from the analysis of data.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates should be able to:
- Transition seamlessly into a Bachelor of Science Degree Program in Data Science, Computer Science, or Technology Management
- Apply appropriate mathematical and scientific principles to Data Science applications.
- Demonstrate proficiency in technical fundamentals to analyze and resolve technology problems.
- Apply knowledge and skills to develop, interpret, and select appropriate technological processes.
- Demonstrate the ability to assist in research, development, design, production, testing and various other functions associated with Data Science.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of Data Science principles/concepts.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of mathematical concepts.
- Demonstrate the ability to think through a problem in a logical manner.
- Organize and carry through to conclusion the solution to a problem.
- Demonstrate good communication skills.
- Demonstrate teamwork skills.
College of Technology Programs at CCC