Jun 18, 2024  
2021-2022 Catalog 
2021-2022 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admissions Office

Whether your goal is to earn a degree, transfer into a four-year university or take classes for professional or personal enrichment, Capital Community College offers more than 60 accredited degree and certificate programs to help you achieve your goals.

The Admissions Office at CCC is your place to get started! Located at the second floor lobby desk, the Admissions Office is your place to:

  • Learn about what the college has to offer;
  • Take a guided campus tour;
  • And complete the steps to enroll in classes.

Below you will find all the information you need to become a student at CCC!

Candidates for Admission

Candidates for admission to associate degree and certificate programs must be high school graduates or have a state high school equivalency certificate. Individual programs may have specific requirements, which are described below.

Special Student Status - Non-Degree

Applicants interested in individual courses are not required to hold a high school diploma or its equivalent. Applicants must, however, have the appropriate background to achieve success in the course. They must submit an application using the non-degree code.

Procedures for Admission to Degree/Certificate Programs

  1. Apply online at www.capitalcc.edu.
  2. Submit a copy of your high school transcript showing graduation or General Equivalency Diploma to the Admissions Office. Individuals who do not intend to enroll in degree or certificate programs and who are not applying for financial aid may indicate non-degree on the application and need not submit a transcript.
  3. Submit official copy of SAT scores. SAT scores are NOT required for admission but may be used for placement purposes.
  4. Submit proof of immunization for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella as required by Connecticut state law (see section titled Immunization Information).

Prospective students must complete any assessment or placement testing required by the College. (See Placement Testing .)

Immunization Information

If you were born after December 31, 1956, Connecticut State Law requires that all full-time (degree-seeking and non-degree/non-matriculating) and part-time matriculating students enrolled in post-secondary schools be adequately protected against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella* (chicken pox).

* Students born in the continental United State prior to January 1, 1980 are not required to submit varicella (chicken pox) immunization information.

Students must present official documentation of immunity before they can be accepted into a degree or certificate program.

Home-schooled Students

  1. A home-schooled student is defined, for purposes of this policy, as someone who has completed a secondary school education in a home school setting that is treated as a home school or private school under state law, or who is in the process of doing so.
  2. Home-schooled students who wish to attend a community college and pursue a degree or certificate must meet the same admission requirements as any other applicant, except for providing evidence of graduation from a secondary school or obtaining a state equivalency diploma. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, completing an application, paying admission fees, submitting evidence of inoculation against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella and taking placement tests, etc.
    1. Home-schooled applicants may also submit a copy of a transcript from any secondary school attended, whether or not they may have graduated therefrom, or a copy of a federal or state equivalency diploma, or a summary of the secondary program of study they pursued, and a certificate of successful completion thereof, signed by the parent or other provider of the home schooling.
    2. Home-schooled applicants may be required to submit transcripts, or records of study, if such are required for other applicants.
  3. Home-schooled applicants who wish to enroll at a community college, but not pursue a degree or certificate, shall be treated as any other non-matriculated student at the college.
  4. Home-schooled applicants may, at the discretion of the college to which they are applying, be required to have an in-person interview with the college’s director of admissions, or such other officer as the college may direct, to assess the applicant’s ability to benefit from the program of study.
  5. Each college shall develop such procedures, forms, and other materials as may be necessary to manage this policy.
  6. Each college shall also establish an appeals process, with appeals going to a designated dean, who may, in special circumstances, waive the requirements of the policy.
  7. If and when the State of Connecticut enacts laws or policies regarding home-schooled students or their admission to public colleges, this policy will be revised and reissued, as may be necessary, to ensure compliance therewith.

Foreign Students

Persons whose official residence is outside the United States and who need an I-20 from CCC in order to obtain an F-1 Student Visa, must submit their application for admission and other required documents during the application period for the semester they wish to enroll in. Applications will be accepted March 1 - May 30 for the fall semester and June 1 - October 1 for the spring semester. Foreign student applicants must send the following information:

  1. CCC application. The applicant must include a local (U.S.) mailing address as well as their permanent (home country) address on the admissions application.
  2. An official transcript in English of previous schooling, along with a high school diploma or authorized certificate of equivalency. High school documentation may need to be evaluated by any NACES-approved organization. Web site: www.naces.org.
  3. Evidence of English proficiency. Applicants from non-English-speaking countries must certify English fluency with one of the following documents: (1) 61 on the internet-based or 500 on the paper-based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language); (2) 5.0 minimum score on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Academic module; (3) a statement signed by a professor of English, a cultural relations attaché, or a diplomatic or consular official of the United States, certifying that the applicant speaks English fluently and understands English sufficiently to succeed as a full-time student in a college in which English is used exclusively.
  4. A notarized affidavit of financial support (I-134 form) indicating sponsorship by a person who will be responsible for food, shelter, clothing, medical expenses, tuition, and books during the student’s stay in the United States. In addition to the notarized affidavit of financial support, the sponsor must also submit evidence of financial ability in the form of a current income tax return, and letter from the sponsor’s employer, indicating position, length of employment and yearly salary. Sponsors may be required to attend an information session After foreign students have been notified that their application has been approved, their sponsor must pay the total out-of-state, full-time tuition and fees for their entering semester before their I-20 will be issued.
  5. Applicants born after 1956 must submit proof of immunization against the measles, mumps, rubella and varicella.
  6. Applicants transferring from another U.S. college or university my require further additional documentation. Please contact the Admissions Office.

PLEASE NOTE: Effective September 1, 2004 - All individuals receiving the SEVIS Form I-20 with an issuance date of September 1, 2004 or later will be required to pay the SEVIS fee. Please refer to the following website for more information: www.ice.gov/graphics/sevis/i901/index.htm

Transfer Students

Students may transfer to CCC from other colleges for any term. In addition to following the procedures for admission into a program, transfer students must have forwarded an official transcript from any other college(s) attended. Once Capital has received all transcripts, the student must file a request for transfer evaluation in the Registrar’s Office. The transcript must be mailed directly from the previous college to the Registrar’s Office at CCC.

After the transcript evaluation has been completed, the transferable credit(s) will be posted to the student’s academic history which is accessible through myCommNet.

Transfer - Acceptance of Credit at Community Colleges

At all community colleges, degree and certificate credit shall be granted only for credit courses completed at all institutions within the Connecticut state system of higher education and at all other accredited collegiate institutions accredited by an agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation as either a “Regional Accrediting Organization” or a “Specialized and Professional Accrediting Organization” in accordance with the following:

  1. Degree and certificate credit shall be granted for all credit courses that are applicable to the objectives of, or equivalent to the course requirements of, the curriculum in which the transferring student enrolls. Credit work that is not applicable or equivalent to curriculum requirements shall be accepted for credit at the discretion of the college. Degree and certificate credit shall also be granted on the basis of performance on examinations in accordance with standards and limits approved by the Board of Regents.
  2. Degree and certificate credit shall be granted for credit courses completed with a letter grade of “C-minus” or better, or with a grade of “P” (Pass). Such credit courses shall be accepted only for credit, and letter grades assigned by other institutions shall not be recorded or included in computations of student grade point averages.
  3. Notwithstanding the number of degree or certificate credits which shall be granted in accordance with the foregoing, the student must complete at least twenty-five percent of the minimum credit requirements for the degree or certificate through coursework at the college awarding the degree or certificate.
  4. When a student seeks transfer credit for technical or specialty courses into a program that is also accredited by a national or regional specialized accrediting agency, such credits must be from a comparably accredited program. In the case of a request for transfer credit for technical or specialty courses from a non-specially accredited program, the college shall provide appropriate means for the validation of the student’s competency in the technical specialty course areas.

New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) Students

The Board of Regents adopts the following recommendations of the New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) for reciprocity among the New England states through the New England regional student program, with the reservation that priorities go to Connecticut students in the event of budget and/or space limitations:

  1. Nonresident students whose traveling time would be less if attending a Connecticut community college than if attending a similar in-state institution are permitted to attend the Connecticut institution at the NEBHE tuition rate, which is fifty percent above the resident tuition rate, pursuant to section 10a-67 of the general statutes, as amended.
  2. Nonresident students who wish to enroll in a Connecticut community college degree program which does not exist in their home states are permitted to enroll in such program at the NEBHE tuition rate.